This morning I awoke ready to get on my new road bike for the first time. It is a Giant SCR-1 and it is really cool. Very lightweight and built for speed (in my non-cyclist opinion). I hadn’t actually been on a bike in years so I was a little nervous about how I would handle it. Around 7:30 this morning I put my helmet, my bike shorts (surprisingly comfortable and much needed cushion) and gloves and hopped aboard. I had to get used to the gear shifting and that took me a few minutes to figure out. I just rode around in my neighborhood, which has a fair number of hills. I don’t have an odometer on my bike (hope to get one in the near future), but I rode around for 20 minutes. I figure I did around 5 miles or so. There were times going up the hills when I was working pretty hard, but then I came down the hills and was able to coast a little. Overall I was very happy with my first time out, although I may have a sore butt and legs tomorrow.

Late morning Zinnia and I headed over to the local bike shop, Hornets. She wanted to buy a pair of bike shorts and I wanted to take a look at bicycle shoes. I didn’t get any, but I am wondering if I should get some. If anybody reading this has an opinion about bike shoes I would love to hear it. I know they clip onto the bike and keep your feet from slipping off the pedals, but I don’t know if they are helpful during a triathlon when you know you will have to take them off and switch to running shoes for the run. I have some more research to do on that. Zinnia found her running shorts (and a swim cap) so she is getting her tri wardrobe piece by piece.

Finally, this afternoon Zinnia wanted to go get in the pool on base and I decided to go with her. I have to stop here and say that it is really nice having my mother here visiting. She is able to watch the kids which allows Zinnia and I to train together. Otherwise we would be training at different times while the other person watched Liam and Keilani. But, this afternoon my mom took the kids to the local park down the street and Zinnia and I went to the pool for laps. I ended up doing another 400 meters with a little better endurance today than yesterday. I was only stopping to rest for about 10-20 seconds every 50 meters (after swimming the first 100 without stopping). Zinnia also did well swimming 300 meters total (with rests every 25-50 meters). We are getting there, but the swim will be the hardest challenge for sure. Neither of us are natural swimmers and neither of us spent much time in the pool as kids growing up, so we have some catching up to do.

My body is telling me it needs a rest as my arms are a little tired and stiff tonight and my left knee is a bit sore. A little Ben-Gay and motrin and I’ll be ready to go tomorrow. I have already slotted Tuesday as my rest day, so tomorrow I think I will just go for a run. With the 10K coming up in 13 days I need to build a little endurance for that. Hopefully I’ll be able to rattle off 4 miles tomorrow before work. Up at 4:30 AM, off to the gym, on the treadmill by 5:00, off the treadmill by 5:40 and then maybe cool down with some crunches and push-ups. Have to be at work by 7:00 so I should have plenty of time. Great way to start the day. As long as I can make it out of bed (the toughest part is always getting the feet on the floor and moving towards the kitchen) I’ll be fine.

The pic is me this morning outside my house right after my 20 minute ride. As you can see, it was a great morning for a ride. I should clarify my pic from yesterday. The one with me and the kids was taken at Anderson Air Force base’s beach here on Guam. The pic that is at the top of the page (sunset pic) is of Gab Gab beach where Zinnia and I hope to train with some open water swims.

Until my next post……